May 13, 2013

Book Review #7

Review #7: Tweak by Nic Sheff
From Indigo: Nic Sheff was drunk for the first time at age eleven. In the years that followed, he would regularly smoke pot, do cocaine and Ecstasy, and develop addictions to crystal meth and heroin. Even so, he felt like he would always be able to quit and put his life together whenever he needed to. It took a violent relapse one summer in California to convince him otherwise. In a voice that is raw and honest, Nic spares no detail in telling us the compelling, heartbreaking, and true story of his relapse and the road to recovery. As we watch Nic plunge the mental and physical depths of drug addiction, he paints a picture for us of a person at odds with his past, with his family, with his substances, and with himself. It's a harrowing portrait-but not one without hope.

As I've stated before, I have a strong fascination with drug addiction. This book has been on my to-read list for quite some time now, but I never managed to buy a copy. I have a kobo and download a lot of books online, but this one I was unable to find for free through any torrents, and they way I see it is, if I'm going to spend money on something, I'd prefer it to be a tangible object. I'm not a big fan of paying for digital files of any sort. So, like I've mentioned, my manager at work wanted all of us to pick a couple of teen titles for our staff picks, my first pick was 13 Reasons Why, and this was my second.

I really liked this book. If drug addiction is a topic you are interested in, or is in any way personal to you, this is a must read. This book is classified as a Teen Non-Fiction, but I was a little confused, as the story takes place while Nic is in the age range of 20-23. Although he does talk about things that started when he was young, most of the content is him at a more mature age, and even though this books is classified as teen, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under the age of 16 or 17. It deals with very heavy topics, and mature subject matter, besides the bulk of the story being about his drug addiction, he does talk a great deal about sex as well, things even those with a strong stomach would become squeamish at.

This book definitely takes you on a roller coaster ride through addiction. Nic does a very good job of making you feel the same things he does while he is dealing with such trying issues. You grow with him very quickly and it is as if you are right next to him on this ride. You get a sense of hope when you can feel he has hope and is trying to turn things around, you also feel beaten down when he talks about going back to the drugs he's been clean of for so long, you can feel him giving up on himself, and though part of you wants to scream through the book "NO NIC BE STRONG!" another part of you can feel where he is coming from. It is not hard to imagine yourself in his shoes, and to think about the things you might do in the same situations as him. While it is easy for anyone who has never dealt with a strong addiction to sit back and throw advice at someone who is dealing with it, being put in the same situations as him, I can't imagine myself doing things much differently at all. Nic gets in the grittiness of an addiction, the moral dilemmas one faces while dealing with these issues, but you can't help but feel for our character and wish for him to pull through it all even in the midst of his psychological traumas coming to the surface. Well worth the read!