May 13, 2013

Book Review #8

Review #8: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
From Indigo: The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald's third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted "gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession," it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s. The Great Gatsby is one of the great classics of twentieth-century literature.

Believe it or not, I did not have to read this book in high-school. In fact, I didn't know it was even part of the curriculum until recently when people started saying "didn't we all have to read that in high-school?" I'm not sure what took me so long to finally read this book, I think it may have something to do with the fact that I'm not a fan of classic literature, although I should be. Even when I heard they were re-making a movie, I only thought "ya, maybe I'll read that." It wasn't until I saw the preview for it on TV that I actually got really excited. Forgive my ignorance for being such a late comer to this tale. It was great. I loved it. I'm now SUPER excited to see the movie. It was a short, quick read, and it definitely flew by. While not having read any of his other books, in this one at least, Fitzgerald does a great job of keeping the reader interested and wanting more. The tangled love web was interesting to say the least, and without spoiling anything for the few people who may not have read this yet, the climax blew me away. It was just one of those scenarios that to me, was just too funny, yet tragic and a tad bit revengeful without meaning to do so. All in all, I will be putting this book near the top of my favourites so far, and I can see it being a book I read over and over.